Frugal Living… what does it really mean?
I honestly have a hard time giving this a definition. Let me tell you what frugal living means to ME.
Frugal living means…
- trying to save money in all areas… but at the same time not being “cheap” (Read the Experts Every Day Frugal Living Tips)
- enjoying the things I have and not wanting more
- learning to manage my finances so I can spend less in some areas and more on other items
- living within my means… aka not spending more than I make
- becoming more of a “homemaker”
- finding ways to spend less on items (5 Ways to Get FREE Produce)
- making homemade meals more often than going out (Tips and Tricks for Making Freezer Meals)
- cleaning the house more frugally with homemade detergents… for Laundry and Dishwasher
- budgeting (read my 10 tips for cutting your grocery bill)
- finding fun activities for my family without having to spend a lot of money
- making do with what I have, or doing without
- buying quality items so things last longer
- coming up with fun frugal date nights! 76 FREE Date Ideas AND Cheap Valentine Dates
- being aware of what I have and appreciating it
- being prepared for emergencies including having a food storage supply, and emergency fund
- spending more time with family and friends instead of other costing activities
- finding fun cheaper kid activities
- saving money so we can buy “bigger” items we want without feeling guilty
- planting a garden… We used Buckets for our garden!
- using your time to save money- we spend time and energy raising chickens to help save on meat, eggs, and scraps.
- Creating other DIY Projects to save money and enjoy learning new things
Frugal Living does NOT mean…
- buying cheap items
- pinching every penny we’ve got (although my husband might disagree)
- coupon-ing like crazy (I HATE coupon-ing)
- not doing anything fun
- sitting at home bored because we don’t have money to go out
- never eating good fast food, or amazing expensive food
- hoarding every thing we’ve got because we are scared to throw it away
- never buying anything new
Throughout this blog I’ll share with you ways that we have found worked for us to live frugally, and hope you enjoy them!